Elafonissi

Elafonisi is an island located close to the southwestern corner of the Mediterranean island of Crete, of which it is administratively a part, in the regional unit of Chania. When the weather is fine it is possible to walk to the island through the shallow water. The island is a protected nature reserve.

At the highest point on the island there is a plaque that commemorates a tragic event. On Easter Sunday of 24 April 1824 several hundred Greeks, mostly women and children, were killed on Elafonisi by Ottoman soldiers. To avoid advancing Ottoman troops, forty armed men had taken refuge on the island with women, children and old folk where they were waiting for a ship to take them to the Ionian Islands. The Ottoman soldiers had decided to camp on the beach opposite the island. One of their horses walked along the shallow water to the island and the people hiding on the island were discovered. According to several sources there were between 640 and 850 people in total, most of whom were killed and the remaining survivors were sold into slavery in Egypt.

A large wooden cross commemorates a shipwreck from 22 February 1907. It was an Österreichischer Lloyd passenger steamer, called the Imperatrix. Due to strong northwest winds 38 people died in a lifeboat that tried to reach the shore. They were all buried on the island. The Imperatrix still lies on the seabed in front of the island's cliffs and was the reason that a lighthouse was built on an island hilltop.

On the mainland the 17th century Chrysoskalitissa Monastery is approximately 5 km (3.1 miles) from the island.

 

Το Ελαφονησι

Το Ελαφονήσι είναι ένα μικρό νησάκι στην νοτιοδυτική πλευρά της Κρήτης στο νομό Χανίων. Στο νησί μπορεί να φτάσει κανείς περπατώντας καθώς βρίσκεται πολύ κοντά στις ακτές και τα νερά είναι αρκετά ρηχά, κυρίως το καλοκαίρι. Το νησί αποτελεί δημοφιλή τουριστικό προορισμό, ενώ προστατεύεται από συνθήκη, λόγω του ιδιαίτερου φυσικού περιβάλλοντος.

Στο νησί βρίσκεται ένας μεγάλος ξύλινος σταυρός εις ανάμνησιν του ναυαγίου του αυστριακού πλοίου Ιμπερατρίς (Imperatrice), που βυθίστηκε το Φεβρουάριου του 1907. Οι επιβάτες-θύματα του πλοίου ετάφησαν στον νησί. Το ναυάγιο βρίσκεται ακόμη στο νησί. Για την αποφυγή ναυαγίων είχε κατασκευαστεί φάρος στο νησί, αλλά καταστράφηκε από γερμανικά στρατεύματα κατοχής στο Β΄ Παγκόσμιο Πόλεμο.

Στην ακτή, περίπου 5 χλμ πριν το νησί, βρίσκεται το μοναστήρι της Χρυσοσκαλίτισσας, του 17ου αιώνα.

 

01 02 03 04 05
06 07 08 09 10
11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25

 

Απαγορεύεται κατά τον Ν.2121/1993 και κατά τη διεθνή σύμβαση της Βέρνης η αναδημοσίευση και γενικά η αναπαραγωγή ολική, μερική, περιληπτική η κατά παράφραση, η διασκευή, απόδοση του περιεχομένου του παρόντος web site με οποιοδήποτε μέσο και τρόπο, μηχανικό, ηλεκτρονικό, φωτοτυπικό, ηχογράφησης ή άλλο, άνευ προηγούμενης έγγραφης άδειας του Γιωργου Τρουλινου και τών συντελεστών της Ιστοσελιδας. Φωτογραφιες copyright: ChaniaCreteByNikos  - https://www.facebook.com/ChaniaCrete - all rights reserved -- Κειμενα: Wikepedia και Βικιπαίδεια

 

 

copyright 2011 landscapes.gr || Design & Development adtech.gr || All rights reserved