Syrrako

Syrrako or Sirako is a village and a former community in the Ioannina regional unit, Epirus, Greece. Since the 2011 local government reform it is part of the municipality North Tzoumerka, of which it is a municipal unit. It has a predominantly Aromanian population, and is located 52 km southeast of Ioannina at an altitude of 1200 m, on the mountain Peristeri. It is built on a steep slope in and retains its traditional buildings. It is the hometown of the poet and author Kostas Krystallis and the first Prime Minister of Greece, Ioannis Kolettis.

Syrrako is separated from its twin village Kalarites by the deep ravine of the river Chroussias, a tributary of the Arachthos. Tradition says that the river’s name derives from Νeoptolemos’ son, Chroussios, who drowned there, not being aware of the fact that water rises fast during bad weather conditions.

Syrrako was inhabited before the 15th century (possibly in the 11th century) by Aromanians (Vlachs). Evidence for this includes the age of the plane trees in the village square. During the Ottoman period, after 1480, it was the capital of the self-governed federation of Malakasio, consisting of 42 villages and belonging to the Valide Sultan. Because of this it enjoyed a privileged treatment. During that time the village developed immensely. Firstly, the inhabitants were involved in cattle breeding and afterwards they developed trade, industrial production of wool textiles and cattle products.

The expanse of pasture land (nearly 750 km) enabled the inhabitants to raise the number of sheep and goats to thousands (50,000 and according to others 75,000) and bring the big quantity of their products, in connection with the Syrrakiotes’ trade genius, to the biggest trade centers in the Mediterranean and Black Sea (Italy, France, Spain, Odessa, Moscow, Bucharest, Belgrade, Constantinople and others).

Capes made in Syrrako were in great demand and it is said that even Napoleon’s army was supplied with a large number of them. The travellers Leake and François Pouqueville report in the years 1815 and 1818 that they found in Syrrako “a trade cycle comparable to the best European cities”. Furthermore, they mention the existence of significant libraries and the circulation of European newspapers, evidence that intellectual development co-existed with trade. Syrrako and Kalarrytes were the only villages in Epirus that took part in the first year of the 1821 Revolution with 720 families and 3,500 inhabitants. The Ottomans destroyed and burnt down the village, and the inhabitants abandoned it trying to save their lives (10 July 1821).

Only five buildings remained untouched, among them the church of the Panagia. The inhabitants returned in the year 1825 (according to others in 1827-28), rebuilt the village and between 1860-70 the village became again as imposing as in the previous years. A second revolution took place in 1854 which was of no consequence. The decline of the wool trade and its replacement by other fibers (1908–10) hurt the local economy and led to changes in production patterns. At that time 530 houses and nearly 5,000 inhabitants existed in the village.

In the aftermath of the First Balkan War, Syrrako was joined to Greece on November 23, 1912. In the national census of 1913, Ioannina counts 17,000 inhabitants, Konitsa 2,000 and Syrrako 3,500.

 

Συρράκο Ιωαννίνων

Το Συρράκο (ή Σιράκο) είναι χωριό του νομού Ιωαννίνων, που ανήκει διοικητικά στον Δήμο Βορείων Τζουμέρκων. Είναι χτισμένο σε μία πλαγιά του όρους Λάκμος, σε υψόμετρο 1.150 μέτρων. Το Συρράκο στέκεται πάνω από την χαράδρα του ποταμού Χρούσια, παραπόταμου του Καλαρρύτικου και απέναντι του αντικρίζει τα Τζουμέρκα. Οι κοντινότερες πόλεις στο Συρράκο είναι τα Ιωάννινα και η Άρτα που απέχουν 40 λεπτά με μία ώρα ορεινής διαδρομής.

Το Συρράκο είναι ανακηρυγμένος παραδοσιακός οικισμός. Διατηρεί αναλλοίωτη την παραδοσιακή ηπειρώτικη αρχιτεκτονική με τα πετρόχτιστα σπίτια, με στέγες από σχιστόλιθο. Μαζί με τους γειτονικούς Καλαρρύτες είναι τα μόνα χωριά που διατηρούν αυτή την αρχιτεκτονική στα νότια του νομού Ιωαννίνων, κάτι που είναι πιο συνηθισμένο στα βόρεια του νομού στην περιοχή των Ζαγοροχωρίων. Πολλά οικήματα είναι μεγάλα και πλούσια, κάτι που μαρτυρά την οικονομική άνθηση του Συρράκου στο παρελθόν. Ανάμεσά τους ξεχωρίζει το παλιό πέτρινο, τριώροφο σχολείο, το οποίο είναι και το μεγαλύτεροι κτίσμα του χωριού. 

Στο Συρράκο δεν επιτρέπονται μηχανοκίνητα οχήματα με αποτέλεσμα να διατηρείται άθικτο το παραδοσιακό του χρώμα. Η είσοδος οχημάτων επιτρέπεται μέχρι την είσοδο του χωριού, οπού ένα πέτρινο γεφύρι συνδέει το χωριό με τον σύγχρονο δρόμο.

Το Συρράκο χτίστηκε περίπου τον 15ο αιώνα μ.Χ. από Βλαχόφωνους πληθυσμούς. Στη διάρκεια της τουρκοκρατίας αποτέλεσε πρωτεύουσα της αυτοδιοίκητης ορεινής κοινότητας του Μαλακασίου, η οποία περιλάμβανε ορεινά χωριά στα όρια των σημερινών νομών Ιωαννίνων και Τρικάλων. Την περίοδο αυτή γνώρισε σημαντική οικονομική ανάπτυξη χάρη στα μεγάλα κοπάδια γιδοπροβάτων, στο εμπόριο και στην αργυροχρυσοχοΐα που διαδόθηκε στο χωριό από τους γειτονικούς Καλαρρύτες.

Το Συρράκο συμμετείχε στην την επανάσταση του 1821 με αρχηγό τον Ιωάννη Κωλέττη και μαζί με τους γειτονικούς Καλαρρύτες ήταν τα μοναδικά χωριά της Ηπείρου που συμμετείχαν στην επανάσταση κατά τον πρώτο χρόνο της. Η επανάσταση στην περιοχή καταπνίγηκε γρήγορα από δυνάμεις του Χουρσίτ Πασά και το χωριό κάηκε ολοσχερώς. Ξαναχτίστηκε στο διάστημα 1825-1828 και τα επόμενα χρόνια απέκτησε πάλι οικονομική δύναμη.

Μετά την απελευθέρωση της Ηπείρου, το Συρράκο αποτέλεσε έδρα κοινότητας, η οποία διατηρήθηκε μέχρι το 2010 οπότε και καταργήθηκε με την εφαρμογή του σχεδίου Καλλικράτης.

 

DSCN0438 DSCN0439 DSCN0440 DSCN0441 DSCN0446
DSCN0454 DSCN0455 DSCN0456 DSCN0459 DSCN0460
DSCN0461 DSCN0465 DSCN0467 DSCN0469 DSCN0470
DSCN0471 DSCN0472 DSCN0473 DSCN0475 DSCN0476
DSCN0477 DSCN0478 DSCN0479 DSCN0480 DSCN0482
DSCN0483 DSCN0484 DSCN0485 DSCN0487 DSCN0488
DSCN0491 DSCN0492 DSCN0493 DSCN0494 DSCN0496
DSCN0507 DSCN0509 DSCN0510 DSCN0511 DSCN0512

 

Απαγορεύεται κατά τον Ν.2121/1993 και κατά τη διεθνή σύμβαση της Βέρνης η αναδημοσίευση και γενικά η αναπαραγωγή ολική, μερική, περιληπτική η κατά παράφραση, η διασκευή, απόδοση του περιεχομένου του παρόντος web site με οποιοδήποτε μέσο και τρόπο, μηχανικό, ηλεκτρονικό, φωτοτυπικό, ηχογράφησης ή άλλο, άνευ προηγούμενης έγγραφης άδειας του Γιωργου Τρουλινου και τών συντελεστών της Ιστοσελιδας. Φωτογραφιες copyright: ΝΕΛΛΑ ΘΕΟΤΟΚΑΤΟΥ all rights reserved -- Κειμενα: Wikepedia και Βικιπαίδεια

 

 

copyright 2011 landscapes.gr || Design & Development adtech.gr || All rights reserved